Rocky IV ⭐️⭐️½
Of all the Rocky films to offer a Director’s Cut, one definitely toward the bottom of the list (for me, anyway) would be the one co-starring Dolph Lundgren’s iconic Russian pugilist Ivan Drago.
Too bad, according to Stallone, it’s coming and he has one word to describe it …
Sylvester Stallone has revealed that he is working on a director’s cut of Rocky IV, which he says will be “amazing.”Rocky IV: Sylvester Stallone Confirms He’s Working on a Director’s Cut – IGN
This movie is ranked #7 out of 8 on my Rocky ranked films list (see: Ranking Stallone’s Rocky and Creed Films). Ouch, only the mediocre Rocky V starring the late real fighter Tommy Morrison as Tommy Gunn would get me less excited.
This is the era of popularity for alternative versions (see: More Director’s and Extended Cuts, yes, Snyder Cut is Coming To HBO Max in 2021), This weekend HBO Max has released Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Ultimate Edition, which adds 30+ minutes to the original theatrical release. Clearly, they are whetting the appetite of Snyder cut fans.
Now back to Rocky IV: The Director’s Cut. No release date was mentioned in any of the sources I clicked through and read, just restating that Stallone confirmed it. Rather than just do that here, let’s discuss what we’d like to see in an alternate cut of this movie.
Here are a few things I think would make Rocky IV better:
- More Carl ‘Apollo Creed’ Weathers hyping the “exhibition fight that doesn’t mean anything” – I love it when he talks smack in the Rocky films
- Drago with a few more barely intelligible lines like, “I must break you.”
- Drago and Rocky mixing it up at the press conference. I always thought Stallone played Rocky too subdued as he announced the fight with Drago would be in Russia. It was his then wife Bridget Nielson as Drago’s wife that has all the passion in that scene. Give me Rocky throwing down with somebody, shoving somebody, something. Instead he plays that scene too Debbie downer mode. Sure, his friend was killed, but … well, come on.
- Eliminate or severely cut that utterly stupid end of the Russia fight speech “If I can change, you can change, we can all change!” — one of the most out of character Rocky speeches in any of the filmse
- Was there a third training montage we could have? No, no, I’m kidding here. I did like Survivor’s song “Burning Heart” but it played off too much like trying to recapture the magic of “Eye of The Tiger” from Rocky III.
Shall I go on? Let’s use the comments. What would you like to see in a Rocky IV Director’s Cut? Or would you not like to see one at all? Which Rocky film deserves a Director’s Cut?
4 thoughts on “Sylvester Stallone Confirms Rocky IV Director’s Cut will be “amazing” – What would make it better?”
I want to see more of the friendship between Creed’s wife and Drago’s squeeze; hell, I’d like to see a whole franchise about it! What do they talk about other than boxing?
LikeLiked by 1 person
Bridget Nielson (Ludmillia Drago) and Creed’s wife? lol! Yeah, there’s a captivating trilogy of movies 😉
LikeLiked by 1 person
Get us Sly on the phone! This is a great female-orientated franchise for the 2020’s!